Confession: James and I can’t get enough of Carly Rae Jepsen’s “Call Me Maybe.” Before you judge, I want you to actually try to make it through one full listening without singing along. It is impossible. When we were on our honeymoon we had satellite radio in our rental car and I am not ashamed to admit that we would actually search for it to sing along. Yes. We maybe have some choreographed dance moves to match by this point.
Before you whip out your condescension fueled by love of some band that actually plays their instruments, hear me out. We have had about 10 years of bands who make real music. Grungy music came in, music where people don’t dance along, don’t perform – they just sing. And that’s great…. But sometimes I miss the shininess of bubble gum pop (judge judge judge).
Enter Carly Rae.
So, to start your weekend off right, here are some doses of “Call Me Maybe.” The original music video is pretty horrible so I propose:
- The Political version. After all, I do live in DC and we must start thinking towards the election that is ever looming!
- The All-American version. What more could you possibly ask for than our Olympic swim team singing along to this song? Nothing.
- The Orchestral Sensation. This is the opposite of the original, in which it is entirely possible that no instrument is actually played.
- The Sesame Street version. In my opinion, everything should have a version that relates it to cookies.
- The “Call Me Maybe” Explanation for the European Crisis. See, it is profound!
I promise that by the time you finish these, you will wonder how you lived before this song. I guess you could say that before it came into your life you missed it so bad, you missed it so, so, bad.