There are several things that generally take place on the First Blog Post of the New Year. I could give you my top moments from the past year, like say, that time I got married, or the time that I lost my mind over Pinterest on the internet, or that time that James lost his over Instagram, or that great trip to Canada, or even that time that I made that roasted veggie frittata so good that I made 12 of them in as many weeks.
Or, I could give you my hopes for the new year, a list of lofty ideas and deep reflections. I could dream of becoming a better person, loving more fully, giving back to the community, etc.
And I’m sure that I really do want to do all of those things, but I am in a junk food coma from our New Year’s Eve Pajama Spectacular last night, where the culinary theme was “favorite slumber-party food from childhood” (read: pizza rolls and a PARTY COOKIE, not to mention queso dip that I wanted to bathe in) and I can’t think big right now. Thus, despite my standard distaste of New Year’s Resolutions, I am feeling compelled to make a couple. Mind you, these are the little type of resolutions, the ones that involve minute changes to life, because I think those might be the only type I’m capable of.
- Throw out the socks with holes. Why do we all keep those socks with holes? (At least, I hope you do, otherwise I am alone with my Valley Forge footwear.) For Christmas, James and I all but begged for socks, and now I need to actually go that final step and throw out the old ones.
- Do my nails on a regular basis. I could probably count the number of times my nails have looked presentable on one nubby uneven-nailed hand. And no, I’m not a biter. I am however, a neglecter who just lets the nails break at will. It’s time for a fresh start.
- Attend some sort of workout class. Yes, I run. But I also have a free membership to the UMD gym and they have some pretty great classes. Once, I even attended one. Then I hurt my foot and called it quits. But it’s a new year, and I might even Zumba.
- Watch all the seasons of 30 Rock. Because they are on Netflix and I can, and I think it is important to foster a love for the things James loves.
- Restart healthy eating habits. The six-months before the wedding I got pretty healthy via a loose following of the Primal Diet. But then I got married and it was all “Pie for breakfast Darling?” and “Cookies in bed with mugs of hot cocoa – extra whip-cream please!” and sooooo many delicious brunches at Ted’s Bulletin or late night shakes at Good Stuff. Because newlywed life is delicious…and maybe not always nutritionally balanced. New year, new grocery list.
- Read the Brother’s Karamazov. Because it’s on my list every year, and every year I always think that this will be the year I finally read it. I am Sisyphus and this is my boulder.
What about you – what are your resolutions (mundane or lofty) for 2013?
(That cool image at the top was snagged from Anna’s blog, which is one of those that is like a fresh breath of air in your day. She also has the cutest dog ever, and I like to blog stalk Darcy.)