I’m not supposed to be writing this post. In theory, I should be at the DC DMV car inspection center right now getting our new car inspected, as it was driven out from KY last Friday night by some good souls and we only have until Friday to get all the monstrous paperwork done. Unfortunately, when I went to drive it this morning, the security system freaked out and I awkwardly jumped around in front of a massive group of amused construction workers while the pesky car tooted its horribly obnoxious horn (think of an elephant farting) and refused to let me turn it on. Now I am back inside eating a second slice of this cake and trying to think of happier things. I think it’s a day in need of a love list, and as always, the title should be sung as outlined here.
- The Washingtonian Magazine. If you are living in DC and not getting this magazine… WHY? I will send you a coupon for some dollars off. I’m pretty sure the Washingtonian was specifically designed to give me everything I want in a magazine. Schedules of all the fun things to do in DC every month? Check. Lists of all the best _______ (donuts, bakeries, shoe stores, fountains, etc.) in DC? Check. Personal interest stories that have a focus on DC residents? Check. I keep mine stacked in a special tray for easy reference and the other day I noticed that this year they are slowly printing a picture of the Capitol on the binding, with each magazine bearing a separate piece. I just about wrote the editor a love letter.
- Revlon Colorburst Balm/Stain. Remember how excited I was about my Nars lipstick? I still am, but this weekend I discovered these lip balms and they last just as long, have awesome colors… and are under $10. Score. As a personal testimony, please know that I wore a hot pink one during an entire afternoon of biking, a picnic, and a shower, without re-applying. I plan on spending the rest of the summer in obscenely bright and disturbing shades of lipstick.
- Pandora “Summer Hits of the 90’s” Station. I know that all the cool kids are using Spotify these days, but I am a fuddy-duddy stuck on Pandora, and after this station, my love is even more intense. Not only do I know almost every word to every song, the late 90’s being the climax of my need-to-be-cool fueled radio worship, but it is the perfect jam mix for summer. I am just one key ring full of various Lip Smackers flavors and some roll on body glitter away from sheer bliss.
- Everlane cotton V-neck Tees. Recently I did a wardrobe purge in which I collected and donated all the clothes I hate. My closet now has a lot of empty hangers, as I have virtually no summer shirts I like, and we are officially past chambray season. I see people on blogs and in magazines wearing that adorable long sleeve button-up or sweater with shorts look and I love it… but do those people not live places where summer is actually hot? DC was built in a swamp and summer is a killer. Clothing has to be light and breathable. After hearing some friends sing the praises of Everlane, I finally ordered some of their luxury tees and I DON’T WANT TO EVER WEAR ANYTHING ELSE. I also invested in one of these awesome cotton dresses during an amazing sale and my summer wardrobe is now set.
- James is home this week. And I love that more than 90’s music, eternal lipstick, breezy cotton clothes, and enlightening reading. I love it more than just about anything, and I’m trying to soak up as much of the summer as I can during these short days he is here.
What are 5 things you love today? Leave a comment below or, if you are of the blogging persuasion and have nothing else to write about today, share your own list and link back so I can read them until I figure out how to disable my fart-honking car.
PS: One of my friends pointed out that Everlane gives perks for referrals, so if I convinced you to buy one of these awesome tees, do feel free to use this link. This blog doesn’t make any money and I like it that way… but I also wouldn’t mind more shirts. https://www.everlane.com/n/zo4c5j
True story: My parents met through a personals ad in the Washingtonian Magazine.
This is my favorite true story EVER.
I just LOVE your blog and life perspective, summer iced coffee dates & Bible study with girlfriends, the O.A.R. Pandora Station, and the love of adoring husbands and four-legged friends. Thanks!
Thanks girl! I’m jealous of your four-legged friends!
WOW that dress! I may have to splurge on a non-sale one. Good luck with your car. And I apologize for all of us who live in southern California and wear, as I currently am right now, long sleeves with shorts at the end of June.
Totally worth the splurge, and I am TOTALLY jealous of your ridiculously nice humidity-free weather.
Best list! And am jamming to Pandora right now. Side note – how do you feel about Everlane sizing/deepness of vneck?
I went up a size at the advice of friends who have purchased them and I am really glad. However, I would classify myself as on the larger end of my size zone… if that makes sense. The V-neck deepness is fine on me, but since I am really tall, there is a long way from my neck to what I want covered, so it might be a problem on others.
1. My husband – who has been working so hard this week to get ahead in his Master’s courses so we can have a fun-filled weekend.
2. Running. I love it.
3. Days like we have had since Friday – the weather has been divine.
4. Picnics along the Potomac with two toddlers. Did that yesterday.
5. This blog. ♥
YES to number 3!!! What was that magical weather last weekend??? And WHY DID IT HAVE TO LEAVE????
Oh and I am still listening to the same stations on Pandora since college. I tried Spotify and was unimpressed. Plus, “Pandora” sounds so much more sophisticated and Classical than “Spotify.” 😉 I am with ya, girl!
So, I know that we don’t know each other, but (I confess it) I started reading your blog after a friend of mine posted a link to your post about your hubby not being your soulmate (which I thought was awesome, by the way). Anyway, I’m to world’s worst blogger, but I love to write, and today I really, really needed to write. Your blog post inspired me to write my own post of five things I love. http://lamyamen-following.blogspot.com/ Thanks!
Thanks so much!!! I will hope over there and check out your list!
Pingback: 5 Things I Love Today | l'espoir. la joie. la vie.
Hooray for #5! I completely, utterly, with everything in me, swear by Revlon lip stains. Enjoy the summer, Hannah. It’s midwinter in South Africa, rainy and NO LAUNDRY WILL DRY. I’ll live vicariously through you ’til things hot up. x
Why has it taken me so long to discover them????
Actually those color burst balms, though. They are the best. I wore the dark red one to prom and it survived the entire evening!
I kind of just want to get them in all sorts of crazy colors I usually wouldn’t buy because they are SO CHEAP.
I absolutely LOVE summer hits of the 90s station. Glad to hear someone else does too.
It is PERFECTION. Love those 90’s hits!!!
I liked the idea behind this post, so I decided to do one as well, albeit late 🙂
Also, I can’t wait to read about your trip to Paris!!! Safe flight!!
Pingback: 5 Things I Love (in response to Hannah) | D.C. Pioneer Woman