I guess I should join the entire cyber world in welcoming October in as if it was truly THE greatest thing that ever happened. Because come October first, we all start instantly expecting the world to look like that first picture, when really it just looks like the last picture here in DC. Torrential rains, all weekend long.
But, those rains do bring cold air, dark skies, and branches that whip about, even if they are still almost entirely green, so I am officially getting on the fall train. I will continue to staunchly maintain that November is really where it’s at (take that, all ye over-zealous Anne Shirley quoters who live way south of Canada), but I’m not about to continue abstaining for some fall excitement and clothing.
It’s been a busy week with not much time for writing that wasn’t work related, but I wanted to drop in for a quick Friday five of fallness that I am embracing.
- Tonight I am doing my ceremonial watching of The Village. I’m not sure why, but that movie is fall to me, and the second those dark winds start blowing, I have to watch it. Go watch the trailer and get all fall-like and excited. And obviously it isn’t a real horror movie, as I am maybe the biggest weenie of all time about scary things.
- Whereas my summer motto is DO NOT ADD ANY HEAT to our apartment, I’ve been burning candles constantly to keep things cozy. This is my favorite, but James is not exactly a fan. I sniffed some great fall candles in the $1 section of Target the other day, so I think I might have to scatter those all around the house, as if it was a low budget college sorority initiation. Which I’m sure James will love.
- The definitive order of fall Starbucks beverages: Salted Caramel Mocha, Toasted Graham Latte, Cinnamon Chai, ice water, breathes of fresh air, Pumpkin Spice Latte. Move over, PSL, your reign is not universal.
- I will spend all month wanting to eat nothing but Reese’s pumpkins and (hopefully?) resisting. But on the subject of candy, this is pretty interesting. Something to keep in mind next time everyone gets upset about campaign spending. Good to know that our priorities are in line. Of course, this weekend I plan to indulge a bunch, candy or otherwise, because on Sunday morning I am going to a SoulCycle class for the first time and using that for a carte blanche all weekend. That works, right? (Have you been to one? Am I going to die/love it/hate it?)
- At the very end of last winter I invested in some great new boots on major sale, to finally replace my beloved vagabond boots. They have sat dormant all winter, but they are coming out, and bringing my army of obnoxiously colored tights with them. I’m trying to avoid buying many (any?) new clothes this fall, as my end-of-the-summer clothing purge showed me I lack nothing, but I am excited for the seasons to change and add some new life in my clothing rotations. But in interest of full disclosure, I did buy this dream of a tunic last month that is so silky and perfect that I think it fulfills all new clothing needs.
What are you looking forward to with fall?
Images via links from here.