It’s cold, and dreary, and the weather doesn’t even have the good sense to stay consistent or give us a gold old fashioned now-you-can-stay-inside-all-week snowstorm.
But despite this, there are a lot of things that are making me pretty happy these days. Here are some of my favorite things right now, all first world luxuries of course.
- Clementines. These are like fruit crack to me. Don’t give me some speech about sugar in fruit — if it grows, it’s good, and in the barren squash and kale killed scene that is the produce section in winter, these are a welcome gem.
- JCrew Factory Chambray shirt. I’m obsessed. I would wear it every day if I didn’t fear people remembering it and judging me. It’s the perfect counterpart for colored pants (see below) and I love it so much that I bought James sister a matching one for Christmas.
- VS Beauty Rush Shiny Kiss Lipgloss in Candy Baby. On the days where it is a messy bun don’t care sort of day (which has been happening a lot lately) nothing makes me feel as put together as good lip gloss. Unfortunately, most lipgloss has glitter undertones and the person I’m kissing these days has an intense aversion to anything sparkly as glitter is “the Herpes of craft supplies.” This one however is glitter free, faintly tinted, and stays shiny for a long time.
- Smitten Kitchen Cookbook. People, this cookbook has beauty of coffee table glossy page proportions. I read it like a novel. Deb not only has the best, easy to follow recipes, she also has the funniest stories to accompany every dish. Not all of my efforts have been totally successful, but I blame me, not the book.
- Colored pants. I am pretty sure that the last time that colored pants were in with this much fervor, I was in third grade and said pants had stirrups. I have been waiting for colored jeans and turtle necks to be back in since then and I am pumped, gleefully jumping on the let-your-legs-carry-your-outfit bandwagon with mustard, green, and red pants, and I have my eye on these plum ones. All of the above go so well with my neutrals (read: STRIPES and CHAMBRAY).
- Polka Dot shirt. Don’t have one yet, but I feel that polka dots are the next stripes, and if not — don’t tell me. Let me live in happy dotty ignorant bliss. (In a world where I was rich, I would have multiple ones, including this one and this one.
- Starbucks Instant Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate. I think it is a crying shame that Starbucks stops carrying all the awesome holiday drinks practically the day after Christmas [classic First World Problem right here, I know]. I have been bemoaning this fact to no end and then I found that they sell an instant version at Safeway, the whole box costing approximately the cost of 2 tall drinks at the store. Add a little whip cream and some sea salt on top and it tastes [almost] like the in-store version.
- Sparkly mini. Another wish list item that I am crushing on from afar. Would I actually wear said sparkle number frequently enough to justify it? Probably not. But I am just a little mesmerized by the wearable disco ball concept. Of course, the Glitterphobe mentioned above is not exactly hospitable to sequins either. But what about a tiny investment in this super cheap one?
What are you loving right now?
(Ps: Not shown — what I’m hating right now: Peplum anything. And yes, this is totally an envy based hate. They are adorable on perhaps 1% of the population but I keep trying to subjugate my tall hippy figure to them and it is NOT WORKING. Not all of us can be Naomi Davis. Pretty sure we were all forced to accept them as fashionable when all of Hollywood got pregnant and needed to cover those baby bumps… so now we all just look pregnant. They also make me think of women like these.)